Jon van Rood is the founding father of Eurotransplant and long-term President of the Board of Eurotransplant International Foundation. Jon van Rood has been one of the most influential professionals in transplantation medicine and immunology. During his extraordinary career, he received countless awards, medals and orders from many states and medical societies. He devoted his professional life to improve the outcome of organ transplantation and founded the first and largest European Organ Exchange Organization over fifty years ago. Professor Van Rood passed away in 2017, shortly before the fifty-year anniversary of Eurotransplant. To commemorate his pioneering work for Eurotransplant an award in his name was established in 2018.
Purpose The purpose of this award is to encourage clinical and/or scientific investigators to pursue or continue a career in the field of organ and tissue transplantation. The Jon van Rood Award is especially meant to enable the investigator to present his/her results of clinical and/or scientific organ transplantation related investigations at well recognized and respected international transplantation congresses or symposia, e.g., European Society for Organ Transplantation (ESOT).
Eligibility Candidates must have attained a masters or PhD degree. Applications coming from all Eurotransplant member states will be accepted.
Terms The winner of the award will receive € 2.500. This award will be made available to the individual applicant and must be used for direct expenses.
Candidates must submit:
- A completed curriculum vitae;
- An application letter with – the publication on which the application is based – for which purpose he/she will use the award with a short description of the research project (limited to three pages)
- A list of publications abstracts and previous research in the field of transplantation (limited to two pages)
Applications must be entirely in the English language. The application can be sent to email@example.com
Deadline The application deadline was August 15, 2022.
Selection The Award Committee consisting of the chairs of the Eurotransplant organ advisory committees will consider all proposals. Decisions of the Award Committee will be announced by the first week of September.
The award will be presented at the Eurotransplant Annual Meeting 2022. The winner of the award will be invited to present his/her data (15 minutes talk including discussion) during this congress.
- Prof. Dr. Markus Guba, chair of the CoMs (chairman)
- Univ. Prof. Dr. Gabriela Berlakovich, chair of the ERAC
- Prof. Dr. Jadranka Buturovic Ponikvar, chair of the ETEC
- Prof. Dr. Michael Fischereder, chair of the ETKAC
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Sebastiaan Heidt, chair of the TTAC
- Univ. Prof. Dr. Günther Laufer, chair of the EThAC
- Priv.-Doz. Dr. Christian Margreiter, chair of the EPAC
- Prof. Dr. Jacques Pirenne, chair of the ELIAC
- Univ. Prof. Dr. Thomas Soliman, chair of the OPCC
Award management Award payments will be made following written acceptance by awardee.
Inquiries Direct all inquiries to:
Mrs. Karin Sloos
Secretary to the Board
Eurotransplant International Foundation
Tel: +31 71 5795 700
Winner of the Eurotransplant Jon van Rood Award 2022: Dr. med. Georg Györi
He received the award for research on ‘Optimizing risk assessment before liver transplantation’. The award was handed out by Prof. Dr. Markus Guba (Chair Council of Medicine and Science) during the Eurotransplant Annual Meeting via livestream.